Wednesday, October 12, 2011

But It's a Whole New World Out There

What a roller coaster my life has been on in the past month. I am still trying to find employment which has been one of the hardest things I have had to do. Bachelor's degree and teacher certification have thus far failed to get me a job. My son has been struggling in school and my daughter required a trip via ambulance to a specialized children's hospital have a procedure on her throat. And the icing on the cake...I am now living with diabetes.

To some, this may have been devastating news, but for me it is the beginning of the rest of my life. I have been overweight for all of adult life and at 33 years of age it caught up with me. I knew this was going to happen one day. My family has a strong history of diabetes and coupled with my weight, I was doomed! But as I just said, it is not the end and I will not let this get the best of me.

I was in the hospital for 3 days and was diagnosed at the time. I was given a diet plan and oral medications to control my blood sugars. It took nearly 4 weeks for my sugars to finally even out to a normal range.
Now, 6 weeks later I am happy to say that not only have my glucose levels normalized, but I have lost 22.5 pounds!!!!!! I still have a long way to go, but I plan to celebrate every single pound!

You may be wondering, how am I doing it. The answer is simple, by finally taking the step towards becoming a healthier me. I eat more veggies, limit my carbohydrate intake, eliminate as much white flour products from my diet as I can, make better choices at the grocery store, and of course...cut sugar out of my diet.

So this brings me to the purpose of this blog. Since my diagnosis I have been posting my healthier culinary creations on Facebook as a way for me to remain accountable. In doing so, it seems that by doing this I have inspired others in my life to take control of their health as well. This blog is going to remain a lighthearted and fun way to keep myself in check. My hope is that in doing this I am able to help others do the same for themselves.


2 comments:

RNcutie said...

Very proud of you. I need to watch out, because I'm a ticking time bomb myself. I need to look at your recipes and try to follow them! Keep up the great work, girl!

littletidbit30 said...

Just remember it isn't totally about what you eat, but how much of it you eat. Good luck!!!

Post a Comment